[opendtv] Re: The next video codec is on its way...

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 22:51:43 +0100

Engineering has always been about making the good compromises in order
to reach an adequate performance.

As a day-to-day end user of H.264, i really can't say i feel cheated.

I can take material from the internet (5 to 8 Mbps), TNT HD (8 Mbps
average, 14 Mbps peak),  blu-ray (25 + Mbps), or a 1080p50 camera (28.8
Mbps peak) and throw it up a wall through a video projector, and it all
looks good (granted, the blu-ray is somewhat sharper).  I really do get
a large, reasonnably sharp picture containing details at home through my
good old analog Yagi antenna, which is what was sold to me.
I can watch it on a 4 year old PC (the graphic card is more recent,
though), and do my own H.264 compression with free tools to transmit
videos or digitized family movies through the net with a manageable
size.
No indeed, i cannot complain about that codec.

And when they say PSNR never managed to establish itself as a good way
to measure quality, i have no objection. Subjective quality is what
counts at the end for an application like public broadcasts (at least at
the standards organization level, some brodcasters may decide
otherwise).

So i am inclined to think this one will deliver, too.

For a country already broadcasting in DVB-T/h.264, it is worth waiting
for HEVC, and make just one standard leap to DVB-T2/HEVC.

Since DVB-T2 can show a 50 % improvement in the field, and HEVC requires
half the bitrate, that would translate to a 3 fold improvement, to be
quickly gobbled up by 3D 1080p/50 , or UHDTV (though a few more 2D HDTV
channels instead would be fine too).

Regarding 3D, i don't remember if the "3D vivant project" was already
mentionned here? It relies on a 3D display that can be watched with the
naked eye by any number of viewers and has no convergence problem (and
was already demoed in some exhibits), and an "holoscopic camera" yet to
be build.

Technical details are scarce, though:
http://www.3dvivant.eu/

This DVB scene issue i mentionned is filled with interesting details,
you can also see for example that Sweden DVB-T2  brodcasts are in 720P
and that a somewhat reduced bitrate per channel was allocated compared
to UK in order to improve SFN use...