[opendtv] Re: The Stream of Fear: The Real Reason They're Blocking Google TV

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:19:42 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Bert is correct. Google TV is not the only TV search engine. You
> can search for video using Yahoo, BING, Google et al. Google just
> happens to be the Luke Skywalker character in this episode of the
> Future of TV.

According to who? Clueless press hype is making them a Luke Skywalker.

Tell me this, Craig. If the congloms were truly scared about search engines per
se, how come they aren't blocking all Internet TV?

Answer: because it benefits them to get their stuff on the Internet.

It becomes very difficult to single out other platforms, doesn't it. Whereas it
is very easy to single out *a* single type of umbillical, Google TV in this
case, trying to position itself as some sort of exclusive portal.

The CE manufacturers ought to take this lesson to heart. Don't collude. Sell
the public what they want, and don't make backroom deals with service providers
or certain congloms, and don't make products that the salesmen have to make
apologies for, trying to rationalize why they are so limited.