[opendtv] The Stream of Fear: The Real Reason They're Blocking Google TV

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 17:20:37 -0500

The Stream of Fear: The Real Reason They're Blocking Google TV

Lauren Weinstein
November 12, 2010

Greetings. In "How They're Blocking Google TV" and "Users as Toast:
The Blocking of Google TV", I discussed some of the technical details
of online networks' blocking of Google TV (GTV), and some of the
reasons why such blocking is unacceptable.

But I haven't really talked about *why* the networks (Hulu, CBS, NBC,
ABC, FOX, SyFy, and others) are engaging in this discriminatory
process in the first place.

Google for its part continues a diplomatic "content owners control
who views their content" mantra. As I've previously discussed, this
is an understandable tack. After all, if such disputes can be settled
in mutually agreeable ways, the hassle factor is greatly reduced.

However, even when such agreements are possible, they may also serve
to validate unfair and/or discriminatory practices that are normally
unacceptable in other contexts of our lives -- and that can spell
trouble for the Internet and its users in the long run.

http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000779.html