[opendtv] Re: The Future for Broadcast

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 17:25:01 -0600

> ... in the DC market alone, today, without Baltimore assist, there are
> 32 OTA program streams, 9 of which are (or can be) HDTV all day long,

Sorry, I miscounted, make that 10 HDTV streams possible now. I don't think
Univision is being transmitted in HD, however 14-1 is the only stream being
transmitted, which allows it to be HD, and to be accompanied by 3 SD streams
quite readily.

> As far as capacity goes, DC OTA could easily support at least another
> 8 programs, without encroaching on HD streams. So, *at least* 40
> program streams, of which 9 are HD, with no extra RF channel
> assignments. *And* this includes additional X streams of M/H service
> too.

The situation in the nearby Baltimore market is, or could be, virtually
identical. So even two closely-spaced markets can EACH offer a good variety of
channels OTA now, even with the big sticks that supposedly make this
impossible. And in doing so, there is no designed-in discontinuity of coverage
anywhere in the Wash-Balt area.