[opendtv] Re: An Unsteady Future for Broadcast

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:06:59 -0600

Dan Grimes wrote:

> My personal conclusion is that I must agree with Craig that
> FOTA does not offer the programming that people want.  Bert
> says that nothing is stopping the FOTA stations from offering
> the same content that is on cable but if that is true, why
> don't they offer it FOTA?  Something must be stopping them.
> "Monk" did cross over.  Why aren't more?

Yah got me. Aren't some of those Stargate series also from a cable net? I
thought they are SciFi channel shows, or am I wrong?

> There is still some valuable content on FOTA and the networks,
> and I do watch some of it.  But it would be hard to convince
> me that they can or will produce what the populous really
> wants.

I wouldn't expect station groups to produce anything at all. Not unless they
really get ambitious. (More power to them if they can.) I would expect that
station groups would buy shows that they can air, to have a steady audience
every week.

I just don't think you need $1M/episode actors to put on a good weekly show.
And I really do not see the need for any overpriced local talent, for news or
weather. If cable doesn't need this, why saddle OTA with that burden?