[opendtv] The Anti-Anti-Piracy Campaign: CEA Tells RIAA To StopHarassing People

  • From: "Silvio Macedo" <s.macedo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:25:00 +0100

Something to follow up?
Silvio

http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/27/gary-shapiro-and-the-cea-take-a-sta
nd/=20

"Under proposed legislation, the most basic and well-established
consumer practices such as creating a "my favorites" from your
satelite radio program or recording a free over-the-air radio could be
outlawed.

We try not to get too political or alarmist here on Engadget --
especially when it comes to draft legislation that's yet to make it
far in congress -- but Gary Shapiro and the group he represents, the
CEA (you may have heard of them?), are taking a stand against big
content in America. Sounds like someone's hearing all the whining we
(all) do about the overly restrictive DRM and fundamentally
adversarial posturing the content industry has consistently taken
against consumers and their devices. A release issued by the CEA at
Shapiro's behest calls for the immediate passage of bill H.R. 1201
(the Digital Media Consumers' Rights Act of 2005) by the U.S. Senate
Judiciary Committee, on behalf of the HRRC (Home Recording Rights
Coalition). Shapiro's on a crusade now, people, to tackle what he
perceives as some very serious issues plaguing the industry today,
like big content's apparent enforcement of copyright as property law,
and the "gross extension of copyright protection" keeping work from
entering the public domain. Whether H.R. 1201 is actually going turn
up roses we don't yet know, but it's not like there's anything to
thing to stop the content companies -- and the CEA's many members --
from lobbying against this bill, especially megacorps like Sony that
play on both sides as content and device maker.
=20