[opendtv] Re: Philips' invention blocks DVRs, set-tops from skipping TV ads

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:32:36 +0200

Hi,
Me:
>> Judging from the angry reactions, it is already
>> backfiring.  :-( But that is to be expected. ANY
>> measures for content management are not going to
>> be appreciated by the public, who want everything
>> to be free. I suppose that deep in our heart we
>> are all communists ?

Bert Manfredi:
> :) Thanks for the morning levity, Jeroen.
> I have no problem at all with protecting content, however.
> (...)
> So I don't think I qualify as any sort of commie.

I think you have missed my point. The point is not what you want
to do with the content (the work of art). The point is that you
have to pay for the privilege of watching it. If you don't want to
subscribe to a pay-TV channel or watch a subsidized public channel
then you're gonna have to pay for it through watching commercials.

The patent in question would force you to make a choice: pay with
money or pay with your time. I think it's a communist view if you
think you can get away with not paying (for your pleasure) at all.
It's natural, but it's not logical.

It's the same as what happened in Georgia (I mean the former Soviet
republic) when an American energy company wanted to earn money by
installing power meters and asking the Georgians to actually pay
for the electricity that they had been accustomed to getting for
free under the former communist regime. They Did Not Like That !
BTW the US company lost the battle and has withdrawn from Georgia.

In our hearts we are all communist when capitalism does not benefit us.

And no, I don't like this invention either. But it's simply an
invitation to pay for the content, just like the "Buy the Ball" patent.

Greetings,
-- Jeroen

| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2 |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |