[opendtv] Re: TV Ad Spending Drops in October | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 02:49:58 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Bert
>
> You continue to be concerned about the viability of "the bundle." But
> the real challenge for both the broadcast and "MVPD" networks is
> holding onto the remaining live audience, which is the primary driver
> of ad revenues. Thus, stories like the following are much more
> important indicators than the number of cord cutters and shavers.

It seems to me that this is just advertisers holding on to old ideas. It's high
time for a paradigm shift. And, since I'm one who watches ads from Internet TV
streams all the time, I honestly cannot understand this legacy thinking. It
makes no difference whether the ad is viewed live or VOD, and ads inserted into
on demand content can also be adjusted to "work well" when they are viewed, if
it comes to that.

Plus, cord cutters and cord shavers constitute lost ad revenues. It makes no
sense to pretend only live stream ads matter.