[opendtv] Re: Supremes Rule Against Aereo | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 08:12:35 -0400

I'm in general agreement with Richard here. The Supreme's just plugged another
leak in the dam.

But the message here is not that broadcasters need to do anything; the message
is that the content congloms want to be paid for what was once a "free"
service.

Broadcast TV is important for the following reasons:

1. It make the politicians look good - to keep their faces in front of the
public and to show they care about the underclass who cannot afford MVPD
service.

2. It enables the second revenue stream via re-trans consent.

3. It supports local voices to keep the faces of local politicians in front of
the public.

What broadcasting DOES NOT need:

1. A better transmission system - they want viewers to subscribe to a MVPD
service

2. A new business model - they are willing to ride this ship down until it is
no longer highly profitable.

3. The headaches of dealing with customers - creating their own Aereo service
would require a customer service organization, billing department, etc. the
MVPDs already provide this for them.