[opendtv] Re: Sunny forecast for NBC Weather Plus

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:44:41 -0500

At 7:19 AM -0800 2/15/05, Mitchell Cardwell wrote:
>I thought this thing would fall flat on it's face, but you're right.
>It's the perfect synergy of cheap, useful and differentiated.
>
>I think there is a similar market out there for a hybrid national/local
>news digital news channel out there as well. The question is does
>anybody have the will to do it before FNC creates a Headline News
>killer. I could also see DirecTV doing a weather channel with local
>forecasts streamed into a DVR and the overlay created by the box and
>customized to the weather information you want.

The Sinclair Broadcast Group is doing something similar today with
News Central. It is not currently a 24/7 service, but it has the
potential to grow into such a service.

Actually ANY broadcaster could add local inserts into a national 24/7
service. We have local news inserts into CNN Headline News on Cox
Cable now - the inserts are produced by students who are working at
the U of F operated PBS station.