[opendtv] Re: State of the Art LCD 45" HDTV

  • From: "John Golitsis" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:50:21 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>

> I'm confused...
>
> Perhaps you are constrained currently by the camera you are using to
> acquire video. I'm not certain that this is what you are trying to
> express, but I do have a few tips/observations.
>
> - Just because a display has more resolution than you can capture
> with a camera today, it does not mean you cannot use a lower
> resolution camera (i.e. 1280 x 720P), and then upsample to 1920 x
> 1080. This works quite well for 720P.

I realise this, but the additional cost of a 1080 panel isn't worth it.  Even
though prices are darn near astronomical in this business, this type of thing
definitely matters.

> - There are HDTV cameras that shoot 1920 x 1080P at 24 and 30 frames
> per second, which should be adequate for MANY applications.

Can't afford those.  We're going to be using the JVC HDV unit which records at
720p.  Sony's new HDV unit records at 1080i, but for our application 720p is
clearly preferable.

> - As is the case with many forms of new media, it is not always
> necessary to fill the entire screen with one video stream. In the
> case of digital signage,  video is OFTEN presented in a window along
> with non-Nyquist filtered graphics.

But on a 1080 disply, you have to drive 2 million pixels, regardless of the
source's resolution (in other words, the display won't scale [at least
adequately], so you have to in the PC).  That's twice the data of 720p.  That
will seriously tax the processor and limit the 'effects' we can apply to other
regions of the screen.  It's really a no-brainer.

> As for playback performance, it really depends on what you are doing.
> Panasonic is shipping Plasma panels with built in modules to handle
> all of this . They can support MPEG-2 MP@HL playback, HTML graphics
> generation, and some forms of interactivity; another module offers a
> broadband connection that can be used to upload files to the display
> for play out.

I've talked to Panasonic, but they are marketing this product directly.  Since
there's no opportunity for integrators, I have no interest.  Still, I think
you'll find plenty of technical limitations with a design like that.  I'd
prefer
to couple the display to a standard PC for limitless possibilities.

> At NAB Panasonic also demonstrated a variety of Macs playing out HDTV
> to projectors. You can use a Powerbook, a desktop, or an Xserve. A
> couple of  X-serves can now handle all of the storage and playback
> requirements of a film festival. I suspect that we will soon be
> seeing 17" and 20" G5 iMacs being used for digital signage
> applications.

I have not looked extensively, but I have not found one single digital signage
application for the Mac.  This is very much a Mac shop and the new Dells coming
through the door doesn't exactly make the boss smile (who's surname is
Macintosh!).  So, I'm using a G5 and FCP for video, and a PC-based solution for
sequencing and driving the networked displays.

I've got a brand new Xserve sitting right beside me.  The Xserve RAID will be
ordered soon, and we're going the SAN route for the video editing and our Maya
guy.  I can't believe that I've become a quasi-Mac guy!  :)

> And yes I did get a little kick out of your 720P admissions. But this
> is just common sense for this application which is NOT just a video
> play out system, but an integrated mediua application that can take
> full advantage of the display capabilities to maximize the
> functionality of the digital sign.

I couldn't agree more!