[opendtv] Re: So Soon? Next-Gen Broadcast TV In Works | TVNewsCheck.com

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 18:07:37 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>>> As for playing catch up, perhaps Bert can explain why only
>>> 18% of current broadcasters are running ads in HD today?
>>
>> This sounds like the kind of comment someone who never watches
>> OTA TV would come up with.
>
> I was wrong. It is only 17%...

Yes, and you were also wrong in your implications. The article says that the
number of HD ads is increasing.

Like I said, anyone who actually watches OTA TV can't help but notice that ads
in the HD subchannels have increasingly become wide screen and HD, where they
USED TO BE almost entirely SD. And they are often gorgeous, as a matter of
fact, sometimes exceeding the quality of the program itself.

It seemed amazing to me that anyone would have missed this trend, or that
anyone would even try to "prove" that HD is not in demand, using ads as the
excuse. Sounds like a comment from way out in left field somewhere, and
entirely contrary to reality.

But once again, if every station transmitted one HD and 3 SD channels, you
would not expect to see more than 25 percent of the ads in HD anyway. So your
goal cannot be 100 percent, even in the best of circumstances.