[opendtv] Re: So Soon? Next-Gen Broadcast TV In Works | TVNewsCheck.com

  • From: "Mark A. Aitken" <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 11:37:13 -0400

<renamed subject>

Inline response...

On 4/28/2011 8:49 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 8:59 AM -0400 4/27/11, Mark Schubin wrote:

I think Craig correctly uses the term "their networks" to describe the telcos.  No one expects, say, a CDMA phone to work on a GSM network.

When it comes to broadcasting, however, broadcasters don't have control over "their" spectrum; there are hundreds of millions of TV sets in consumer homes that are supposed to work with what gets broadcast.  Some of those consumers were recently forced to either change TVs or get "adaptors" for them; are they now to do so again for some new mandated efficiency?

FYI, I'm a cable subscriber, so I usually don't use OTA TV, but when a cable outage or dispute with a broadcaster removes service I want to see, even I connect an antenna.

Looks like Mark Aitken answered this quite nicely with the post about the next generation ATSC standards efforts.

Who was it that said good things sometimes take a while to get?

IMHO, the most interesting aspect of that article was this:

Whenever it comes, next-gen TV will not be backward compatible with DTV as color TV was with the original black-and-white TV in the 1950s. This will mean another traumatic transition similar to one leading up to the final June 2009 switch from analog to digital.

"Sometimes to build a better mousetrap, you have to start over," said Richer. "That's what we are going to do.

Frankly, I am not sure that the last transition was all that traumatic. It is hard to say something was traumatic when 85% of the population barely noticed.

Clearly more than 85% of the population were aware.

It may have been traumatic for the broadcasters, but it is hard to feel sorry about self inflicted wounds.

You should have lived it in the shoes of a Broadcaster who knew that better options had been and were available...

In reality, the real transition was the one that took place with displays. ATSC was not the driving force, but the knowledge that broadcasters would deliver HD services helped many people justify buying a new wide screen TV. The MAIN driving force was actually DVD, which provided widescreen content for those new screens (and this wans not even HD).

It is likely that had Broadcasting NOT converted to digital (remember when DTV was about what Broadcasters were doing?) that HDTV/wide-screen displays would have continued to dribble in growth for a decade (or more) longer. It was the availability of HQ content, largely driven through availability made possible by the Network/Affiliate model (now somewhat more broken), that drove consumer adoption.

Yes there are millions of old tube TVs out there, but  most are not being used that much as flat TVs are so much better and now relatively affordable. Yes most of the flat panels have an ATSC tuner, but most of these are not being used. And ALL of these TVs have multiple ways to get content onto the screen. IF there is any demand for the next DTV standard to be viewed on these screens, and I expect there will be if an appropriate standard is chosen, a simple box with an HDMI connector will solve the transition problem.

Of course, this is what we told the broadcasters 15 years ago.

HDMI was not even around 15 years ago, but I think I get (and have expounded) your point...make it easy!

Interoperable, scalable, extensible.

This time broadcasters need to plan for evolutionary change, and create a business model that is compelling enough to get consumers to support the standard.

Our view of the world has actually always been rather simple. Make our product readily available (with minimum of fuss), ensure that it is compelling (subjective for sure), and make it affordable (part of that says "FREE" is a pretty good price point). From the article, I extracted the following...

                “We need more bit capacity, we need more reliable service and we need the ability to seamlessly stitch together markets with a quality service that would support virtually any business model.”

begin:vcard
fn:Mark A. Aitken
n:Aitken;Mark A.
org:Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.;Engineering & Operations
adr:;;10706 Beaver Dam Road;Cockeysville;MD;21030;USA
email;internet:maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
title:Director of Advanced Technology
tel;work:(410) 568-1535
tel;fax:(410) 568-1580