[opendtv] SlingBox

  • From: Don Moore <donmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 16:47:14 -0400

I went out and purchased one last Friday.

As a confifdence monitor, it is OK.  As a way to violate copyright
issues and such; there is not enough bandwidth.

Sure I could go ahead and publish my SlingBox IP and password; but only
user can access the box at a time.

Bandwidth is variable - between 100 and 380Kbps.  Images are subject to
freezing as ip traffic varies across the network.  Which I have found to
be common on most video streams - live or file.  My quick check on
Saturday is far better than during the week; probably because IP
business traffic is non-existant on the weekends.

I definitely can not go full screen as my computer screen has much
higher resolution than NTSC - duh!

At this point, there is no way to record or redirect the stream.

If you really wanted to do something in that flavor, you would be better
off using Windows Media Server (Version 7), with a Windows 98 machine
and an ATI Radian Tuner Card.  Run a few setup routines, put them in the
start up group and bam! you are streaming NTSC video to the world - with
no limits (except badwidth.)

The only advantage SlingBox gives the user is the ability to change
channels (which you can do via PCAnywhere, on the PC/Media Server setup).

I'd be more worried about Bit-Torrant and Direct-to-DVD, before I
thought that SlingBox was going to bring down broadcast TV.

Don Moore