[opendtv] Re: Sixty-three TV stations to launch mobile DTV service this year

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 20:58:32 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> Seeing as the only mobile standard thus far approved by the FCC
> for use is E8-VSB, I wish all the best to the OMVC.

Well, clearly the OMVC doesn't think they would be using E-VSB!

Also, are you sure that E-VSB is considered a mobility standard? I
remember reading the initial results, which showed that 5th gen
receivers showed no mobility gains from E-VSB. Only a lowering of the
C/N margin needed for reception.

I briefly checked A/53 Part 2 to see if they used the word mobility, and
I found only "enhanced" to describe E-VSB. So the test results must not
have been lost to the ATSC.

So bottom line, "good luck" is right.