[opendtv] Re: Sixty-three TV stations to launch mobile DTV service this year

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 11:03:55 -0500

Bert,

To split hairs, I believe E8-VSB was good for portable/pedestrian use, but not mobile at vehicle speeds. There is a 'small screen' service mentioned for E8-VSB, but yes, you are correct. I was overly simplistic in my wording.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Also, are you sure that E-VSB is considered a mobility standard? I
remember reading the initial results, which showed that 5th gen
receivers showed no mobility gains from E-VSB. Only a lowering of the
C/N margin needed for reception.