[opendtv] Seeking the secrets of a satellite receiver / DirecTV set-top-box design focuses on modularity for the mass market

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient:;
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 15:04:35 -0500

Seeking the secrets of a satellite receiver

DirecTV set-top-box design focuses on modularity for the mass market.

By Brian Dipert, Senior Technical Editor -- EDN, 1/18/2007

My wife and I are currently enjoying two concurrent six-month free
subscriptions to DirecTV, including hardware, the outcome of a "spam
fax" class action lawsuit filed against the company several years ago
(and a reflection of the two fax lines at my residence that got
spammed). A DirecTV D11-500 satellite receiver currently sits on our
living room's home-theater cabinet, but I've dissected its
predecessor, a D11-100, for your voyeuristic enjoyment. What's inside
the svelte, silver, satellite-satiated case?

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6406715.html