[opendtv] Re: Seeking the secrets of a satellite receiver / DirecTV set-top-box design focuses on modularity for the mass market

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:11:13 -0500

Monty Solomon wrote:

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6406715.html

Two interesting items:

1. There is only an MPEG-2 MP at ML decoder in the box, and yet it is
ATSC capable. I guess this is one of those "decimating" designs that had
been mentioned early on, for cheap decoders in ATSC environments, but
then never mentioned in the open press since. Looks like a true ATSC
SDTV decoder.

2. Is this 27 Watt power draw not receiving any indignant sniffs?
Imagine SDTV at 27 W. I feel hot already.