[opendtv] Re: Sampling Frequency of Image Signals

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 14:27:02 -0400

Dan Grimes wrote:

> "It's also possible to use non-linear quantization to advantage."
>
> This refers to floating point, no?  Or are there new forms of
> non-linear quantization being used?

There are non-linear quantization methods that assign different weight
to the bits, as the amplitude gets higher. Since our eyes are ears have
logarithmic response, it seems a waste to use linear coding for the
quantization, when what you really want is very fine resolution for low
light and soft sounds, and much coarser resolution for the loud and
bright stuff.

Jeroen said that with linear coding, our eyes want at least 14 bits of
resolution. If the bits are weighted differently, we can do fine with 8
bits.