[opendtv] Re: No Commentary on Fox/NASCAR Broadcast

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 12:56:28 -0400

Dan,

Refer these questions to the Chief Engineer of your local Fox affiliate. Offer to mail him the VHS tape if he so desires so he can hear what you're hearing. It sounds like a 2.0 to 5.1 switching error somewhere in the chain, and I would give it a 99% chance that it is at the local affiliate.

When decoding 2.0 Dolby Digital to AES audio, you get Left on channel 1 and Right on channel 2 of the first AES pair.

When decoding 5.1 Dolby Digital to AES audio, you have Left on channel 1 and Right on channel 2 of the first AES pair, Center on channel 1 and Low Frequency Effects on channel 2 of the second AES pair, and Left Rear on channel 1 and Right Rear on channel 2 of the third AES pair.

If your local affiliate is only using the first AES pair for their NTSC transmission, you will have normal audio during any 2.0 programming (or program segments,) and have only the Left and Right effects of the 5.1 mix during the 5.1 programming. Announcers are almost always in the Center channel during 5.1, which would not make it to air with this problem at the station.

I bet that if you listened to the ATSC broadcasts, there would be no audio problems at all.

John Shutt

----- Original Message ----- From: <dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx>