[opendtv] Rewriting history books WAS Re: 5th generation Test

  • From: dmenolan <dmenolan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Open DTV list <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:41:05 -0500

Hi John,

Ah yes. But Doug has not learnt the lessons of history and I still see Cr=
aig and Bert arguing about the same old things. Bottom line: they still h=
ave not shipped a working ATSC receiver with indoor performance to match =
1999 COFDM. Today there are nearly six million (now that would be 24 mili=
on in the States) DTV homes here. And how many ATSC units installed in co=
nsumer homes. Doug conveniently forgets the facts but the economics are t=
elling another story. As DirecTV announces plans to launch HD service nat=
ionwide using MPEG4/DVB-S2(that's the power of News Corp for you!) on the=
 same day that Crown Castle announces a nationwide DVB-H system in the US=
. That's what I call leapfrog.
Bottom line with ATSC:

No industrialisation of proper RF performant receivers (all this stuff wa=
s sorted out in COFDM years ago. The papers I see by Charles Rhodes + col=
leagues are old hat in COFDM markets!)
STILL no working indoor antenna ATSC reception in tough RF environments i=
n consumer devices: TOO COSTLY!
Very low penetration of DTV
HDTV via satellite and cable holds sway: even more so with the DirecTv an=
nouncement.

Some very interesting questions are going to be asked when people compare=
 the receivability of DVB-H with ATSC in the US. Pretty pictures are fine=
 but the QoS needs to be very high and you pay.

I find it very interesting that the same old arguments are being run over=
 and over again on openDTV: there appears to be no closure on this issue.=
There would be if it was a consumer success story: HD is but not ATSC.

The future belongs to the modern systems: MPEG4 HD, DVB-H and also to low=
 cost terrestrial DTV systems which actually work here and now in $45 STB=
s. I am sure we will see the same old blasts from Doug and Bert: but hey,=
 who cares? I have long since ceased to bother. The whole thing is a comp=
rehensive commercial catastrophe. Its better it fails, because the pieces=
 can be picked up, and we can move on. Either OTA will die in the US, NTS=
C will continue, or a modern working system will be introduced. Of course=
 I do envy the US because they have a clean sheet of paper and spectrum f=
or mobile TV is there and owned: that will be fascinating.

With weary regards and a distinct sense of deja vu for the nth time...

Dermot Nolan

From:   INTERNET:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, INTERNET:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:     , INTERNET:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        =

Date:   15/03/105 18:19 PM

RE:     [opendtv] Re: 5th generation Test

 =

Doug,

You know as well as I do that the COFDM box used in the MSTV tests was a =

wideband front end modulation monitor, and when it was used with a front =
end =

filter (as you suggested be done with Bob Miller's latest test unit) it =

performed very well.  You also know that the COFDM unit outperformed the =

ATSC unit using indoor antennas at 6 feet, where the front end was less =

likely to be overloaded.  It was the outdoor antenna performance that gav=
e =

the overall nod to the ATSC unit.  Even then, the "angle of acceptance" w=
as =

in many cases 360 degrees for the COFDM unit, while it was 90 degrees or =

less at the same location for the ATSC unit.

You also know how well the 6 MHz modified Nokia boxes worked in the =

Baltimore area in 1999, which is not a benign RF environment.

And I take your comments comparing me to Mssrs. Miller and Nolan as a =

compliment.  I refuse to rewrite the history of the 1999 Sinclair Baltimo=
re =

tests, and I still have my own personal experience with ATSC in my own =

office.

If you want to see how COFDM boxes perform in a very tough RF environment=
, =

please watch this video clip:

http://www.viacel.com/bob.wmv

Regards,