[opendtv] Re: Retransmission battles signal trouble for free TV (too pessimistic?)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 10:24:26 -0600

Tom Barry wrote:

> The following article is from Broadcast Engineering and I
> agree with much of it in principle.  It is nothing we have
> not discussed here repeatedly.  But I think I take issue with
> the shorter term forecasts of problems with TV advertising
> revenue since I do believe the economy has already turned.

I continue to not understand why the trade press is in such a frenzy to try to
"prove" that the TV model is broken. As much as I don't understand why the
press finds it so attractive to keep harping on the idea that human-generated
CO2 causes global warming.

What makes the "analyses" non-credible to me is very simple. When people claim
that you need two revenue streams, they keep doing this in a vacuum. You don't
need two revenue streams at all. What you need is to cover your expenses with
revenues. Period.

If the analyses don't look at the costs vs the revenues, they come out sounding
like nonsense. Like they are missing thee boat. Furthermore, when the analyses
confuse the TV networks with the broadcast station groups, they add to the
non-credibility.

Maybe the model is broken, but you can't convince me of that with the arguments
I keep seeing.