[opendtv] Reding 'to opt for DVB-H for mobile TV'

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:55:43 -0400

I'd like to know the reasons for her preference of DVB-H.

Not that I have anything against DVB-H, but its only benefit over the
competition, as far as I can tell, is that it is compatible with a DVB-T
channel. If mobile handheld service is to be provided on separate
frequency channels anyway, as it has been to date, then there's no
compelling reason to favor DVB-H, is there?

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=2549

Reding 'to opt for DVB-H for mobile TV'

European telecommunications commissioner Viviane Reding is reportedly
set to recommend a standard for broadcast mobile television. In March
Reding said mobile operators needed to choose a standard by this summer
at the latest, or face one being imposed. Reding said her preferred
standard was DVB-H.

According to The Guardian, Reding will next week announce that DVB-H
will be the European Commission's favoured solution.

The move is likely to frustrate many industry players who have already
adopted, or trialled, alternative technology solutions such as DMB and
MediaFLO.

Reding's threat was attacked in March by the WorldDMB forum which
accused her of ignoring the advice of the European Mobile Broadcasting
Council. It says there is "no urgent need" for the European Commission
to mandate a standard, and instead says markets should be allowed to
decide which technologies are best suited.

Lovelace Consulting 10.07.2007