[opendtv] Re: I have installed DVB-T

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:25:50 +0200

Hi,

John Willkie:
> By ?free? porn channel, does that mean it?s advertiser-supported versus
being pay-TV?

No, I mean free as in gratis. It is included in the ?10/month
basic subscription fee (I think it's ?8/mo for loyal KPN
customers). For that fee I get the 23 programs, only for the
2 soccer programs do you need to pay some more. And of those
23 programs 4 are public broadcasters that are also available
without any subscription at all, so I actually pay for 19.
Of those 19, 2 are Belgian public broadcasters, for free in
Belgium, and 2 are BBC Prime and World which are available
for free on satellite. So I guess that my ?8 or ?10 really
goes to the remaining 15 programs which are not available
otherwise. Still a good deal, I think.

> If so, I?ve never heard of such an offering over the air, at least
outside of some early Italian ?pirate? channels.

This is definitely not a pirate channel. What's more, I expected
it to be rather softish, with censored single-X-rated material.
But the contrary seems to be true, it is very explicit.
It was protected by a pin code: "1234", and on request you can
have it blocked permanently. But default it is open.

Bert Manfredi:
> Hi Jeroen. I hope you had a nice vacation. We'll be going too.

Very nice, especially for the children. The hotel staff was
very friendly for children. This is typical of italians.

> How far are you from the towers, in a straight line? 10 KW is
> a low power level for indoor reception.

I haven't measured, but the whole city is only like 10x10 km2
and the tower is within the city limits. So my guess is 6 km.

> Over here, for whatever reason, broadcasters have so far decided to use
> 4:3 when they transmit SDTV and 16:9 when they transmit HDTV. So almost
> everything I watch is 16:9, but in terms of percentage of what's
> actually transmitted, 4:3 is still the most common.

Over here HDTV is hardly available, but a very decent part of
the SDTV content is real 16:9 (as opposed to letterboxed).
And with good PixelPlus (TM) processing and a reasonable screen
size the difference with true HDTV is not so large that people
would be screaming for more.

Greetings,
-- Jeroen

| From:    Jeroen H. Stessen               | Phone:  ++31.40.27.40246  |
| Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies    | Mobex:  ++31.40.27.99650  |
|          Digital Systems & Technologies  | Mobile: ++31.6.4468.0021  |
| Address: High Tech Campus 5 - room 5.025 | Skype:  Jeroen.Stessen      |
|          5656 AE Eindhoven  - Nederland  | VoIP:
Jeroen.Stessen.at.Philips  |
Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |