[opendtv] Re: Reason there is no Verizon iPhone

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 09:50:21 -0400

No doubt, almost worldwide GSM coverage is a bonus. But my take is that the cleverness of Apple revolves mostly around the prices exclusivity can command.

Bert

It is unlikely that there will be an announcement about the iPhone coming to Verizon at the Apple Developers Conference next week. But there is some evidence that Apple will begin production on a CDMA phone this fall - some speculate that Verizon will get this phone in time for the holidays, while others are saying 2011.

There is another aspect of this story that may be far more interesting. China Telecom is the world's largest operator of CDMA type networks (I think they have a bit of their own special sauce integrated). My educated guess is that Apple is trying to get China Telecom on board; Verizon may come along for the ride...