[opendtv] Re: Polka Warns FCC of More Online Blocking | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 00:20:04 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The fact that many MVPDs are ALSO the preferred ISP services in most
> markets should have nothing to do with this.

Actually, it has everything to do with this one case.

There are two fundamental problems in US broadband. One is that the ISP
networks are local monopolies now, just like cable TV was, which means no real
competition. (Even if you have the choice of cable + FiOS, they seem to agree
on the rates to charge. Not enough competition even for those who have the two
options.)

The second is conflict of interest.

In this case, if Viacom had been dealing separately, with a cable company and
with ISPs, Viacom would not have been so quick to take their content away from
the ISPs, just because this separate cable company was giving them grief. After
all, Viacom did not yank its content from other ISPs, right?

In the Netflix v Comcast case, Comcast has no interest in providing Netflix to
the best of its abilities, because all Netflix can do is take customers away
from its walled-in content.

That video embedded in my previous post explains it very well. The only problem
is, I can't see any simple solutions. Remember when ISPs were *really*
competitive? It was only because they could all rely on Title II neutral dialup
lines. So in some ways, Title II would be the answer. The problem is all the
rest of the baggage that brings along.