[opendtv] Re: Polka Warns FCC of More Online Blocking | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 10:46:41 -0400

On May 9, 2014, at 8:20 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Actually, it has everything to do with this one case.
>
> There are two fundamental problems in US broadband. One is that the ISP
> networks are local monopolies now, just like cable TV was, which means no
> real competition. (Even if you have the choice of cable + FiOS, they seem to
> agree on the rates to charge. Not enough competition even for those who have
> the two options.)

Yup. It looks better if there is the appearance of competition. So the trifecta
in the TV/broadband business is cable, DBS, and the telcos. ALL are regulated.
ALL are contributing to local, State and The Federal treasuries.

There is one outlier - Google Fiber. Yet even Google charges as much as the
tri-opoly for the TV bundle.

> The second is conflict of interest.
>
> In this case, if Viacom had been dealing separately, with a cable company and
> with ISPs, Viacom would not have been so quick to take their content away
> from the ISPs, just because this separate cable company was giving them
> grief. After all, Viacom did not yank its content from other ISPs, right?

This is a pure power play. An absolute conflict of interest. Not surprising
that they would test this strategy in a "territory" rather than in a State.

> In the Netflix v Comcast case, Comcast has no interest in providing Netflix
> to the best of its abilities, because all Netflix can do is take customers
> away from its walled-in content.

But Comcast did agree to help Netflix - for a price. And Netflix is bringing
customers to Comcast - even cord cutters need broadband. The reality is that
85% of cable subscribers ALSO use streaming services like Netflix. MVPDs are
still the only way to get some content, and now the key to access this content
on mobile screens.

> That video embedded in my previous post explains it very well. The only
> problem is, I can't see any simple solutions. Remember when ISPs were
> *really* competitive? It was only because they could all rely on Title II
> neutral dialup lines. So in some ways, Title II would be the answer. The
> problem is all the rest of the baggage that brings along.

The deck is stacked.