[opendtv] Re: People DO watch LPTV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 13:20:04 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> The way they fill their multiplexes with H.264 traffic is no
>> different from the way MPEG-2 systems fill their multiplexes.
>> Rather than debate this with vacuous words, SHOW ME where
>> I'm wrong.
>
> Real world efficiency gains are already in the 20-30% range
> and sometimes higher.

No, Craig, I said show me how the multiplexes differ. Not the same old
words.

For example, how many HD and/or SD programs are ACTUALLY being fit into
the 8 MHz multiplexes, compared with what broadcasters ACTUALLY do with
MPEG-2 here? How much bit rate is ACTUALLY used for HD and SD streams
using H.264? I showed you the answers already, in real numbers. Show me
some real numbers to make your case.

The reality of today is that there is no difference. Although I will
agree that in an A/B comparison, it is possible that the H.264 streams
are somewhat better, less macroblocking, or whatever. Is it impressive
to fit two H.264 HD streams in a single 8 MHz multiplex? Not really!

In short, there is way too much hype being heaped on this H.264
difference. Way, way too much made of the supposed disadvantages of not
having H.264.

We have had OTA HDTV here for 10 years here, Craig. Obviously, starting
fresh, you'd use the latest codec. Just as obviously, the same can be
said for waiting another 10 years. Just how much longer do you think we
should wait?

> The early SD DTV deployments in Europe will be a decade
> old by the time they begin to transition to HD in earnest.
> Not a bad deal for an investment of about $40 in a STB.

They weren't anywhere close to $40 a few years ago. The SD boxes Germany
started with, in 2003, cost $200. Our Samsung HD STB costs $169 at
Circuit City. Way less than $315. Our built-in HD receivers are totally
noise level in cost now, be they in TVs or in PVRs. There is NO WAY
anyone can complain about the cost of HD reception here.