[opendtv] Re: Panasonic's AG-HVX200

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 12:24:15 -0400

>You've seen the price and quality of HD acquisition drop rapidly over
>the last few years, and storage is relatively cheap.  So why stop at
>720p and not 1080p?  Why not acquire at the best resolution you can and
>DOWNsample?

I'm a big fan of acquiring at the highest resolutions and then
downsampling, but I can think of a bunch of reasons for not using 1080p
cameras, starting with the fact that, until very recently, they didn't
exist.  In a non-DPM camera, there's also the possibility of interline
twitter.  The sensitivity of a 1080p camera is lower than that of a
1080i camera.  They cost more.  Should I go on?

If everyone should use the highest-rez cameras, we should all be
shooting UDTV, with 32 million full-color pixels per frame.

TTFN,
Mark