[opendtv] Re: Ofcom's proposed spectrum auction

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 18:53:56 -0400

Cliff Benham wrote:

>> Broadcasters are local. Somehow, the Brits and other
>> Europeans make the economics work. The main difference
>> I can see is that the multiplexes are nationwide.
>
> Most of the European 'states' are smaller than some
> individual American states. Do you suppose geographic
> closeness could have an effect on the meaning of
> 'nationwide' and 'local broadcaster' to the Europeans?

I've thought of that angle, but I don't think it follows. The entire
economy of these individual European countries is scaled down, compared
to the US. So I can't see how the square miles of land area would make
the difference.

For instance, would you say that DTT in the US would be much more
successful if independent DTT system were created, each one covering a
land area no bigger than (say) France? No, because that's not culturally
how mass media work. And MVPDs give ample evidence of this. The
successful channels over MVPDs are **NOT** the ones limited to small
geographic regions.