[opendtv] Re: Ofcom reports strong growth in UK digital television

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:22:01 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> Looks like Freeview is doing pretty well and such as Sky
> may be stalling.

I see no evidence of that in either the Ofcom report or the Italian
conference report of 1 December. That was the point.

I've been wondering why, or if, the European TV market is really so
different from here. I've been thinking that it probably is not -- just
perhaps shifted in time and in the rate of change. Meaning, in some
countries, use of OTA is still strong, but is gradually losing ground to
multichannel services there just like here. That's what the data show.

Over here, we seem to have stabilized, more or less, to an average of 15
percent of households using OTA exclusively. If that's changing, it is
so slow and uneven that successive reports on that number show higher or
lower. The equilibrium point in some European countries is still perhaps
too far off to guess at.