[opendtv] Re: Not all Rockefellers are smart

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 16:43:26 -0400

It is indeed much more reliable than it used to be, though that is after only a couple hours of testing for me. I recently built a newer computer and yesterday received a new On-Air GT USB receiver for it.

Though I've owned maybe a half dozen PCHD cards it has been a few years now since I bought another. My new On-Air GT is a little usb connected and powered shirt pocket sized brick. But it has a 5'th gen tuner in it.

It installed without problems on my new Vista 64 system.

It comes ($128 Amazon) with a small 1' whip antenna. Sitting on top of my computer with the dinky antenna straight up it solidly receives all my Gainesville stations (no NBC here) except Fox which is really about 40+ miles away.

I think this is a bit better than any of my others. Of course now I'm just going to set it up for cable QAM anyway since I don't even have any outdoor antenna at this location.

But it is nice to know that in a power failure I could quickly switch it to a lap top and still get the news, on lap top battery.

- Tom

PS - Yes, I sort of like "The Mentalist".

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Cliff Benham wrote:

Jonas wrote:negrjp wrote:
The main question remains de the same:

"Is DTV reliable?"

Taking into account the existence of the digital cliff, I'd say yes. In
crisis situations, COFDM could reduce its constellation, to move the
digital cliff. And with the M/H standard, in principle ATSC could do
likewise.

I haven't ever watched analog TV (at home) ever since going to DTT. So
it must be reliable enough.

I often complain about the content of television and
entertainment programming in general.

Today I found a note about this on another list
that reflects my feelings perfectly:

The technical aspects of the equipment are far more
interesting and educational than the crap it displays.

IMO, the above is *far* *far* more true with respect to cell phones. No
contest.

Another very good new show, by the way, is the Mentalist, on CBS.