[opendtv] Newspaper-broadcast cross-ownership rules

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 17:39:08 -0400

On 02/04/08, the FCC posted this:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-216A1.pdf

in which they proposed to eliminate, in certain cases, the limits on
cross-ownership of broadcast stations and newspapers, for radio or TV
broadcasters. The 39 percent national cap, UHF discount, and dual
network ownership rule were not affected.

"Today, we make a modest change in the rule that has the primary effect
of presuming that certain limited combinations of newspaper and
broadcast facilities in the largest markets are in the public interest.
In this order, we take a modest step in loosening the complete ban on
cross-ownership. We adopt a presumption, in the top 20 Designated Market
Areas ('DMAs'), that it is not inconsistent with the public interest for
one entity to own a daily newspaper and a radio station or, under the
following limited circumstances, a daily newspaper and a television
station, if (1) the television station is not ranked among the top four
stations in the DMA and (2) at least eight independent 'major media
voices' remain in the DMA."

Commissioners Copps and Adelstein dissented at the time.

Today, this from Commissioner Copps:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-282239A1.pdf

"The Senate spoke for a huge majority of Americans last night by voting
to overturn the flawed FCC decision gutting our long-standing ban on
newspaperbroadcast cross-ownership. With courageous leaders like Senator
Byron Dorgan, the Senate has struck a blow for localism and diversity in
a media environment crying out for more of both."

And from Commssioner Adelstein:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-282231A1.pdf

"The Senate's complete rejection of the FCC's attempt to permit greater
media concentration represents a great victory of the people over the
powerful. In light of the Senate's action, any proposed transaction
seeking to exploit the new rules will likely face intense scrutiny. This
vote reflects a strong consensus across the ideological spectrum against
further media concentration, from left to right and virtually everybody
in between. The FCC veered dangerously off-course from the American
mainstream, so our elected representatives are trying to steer us back.
This unequivocal, bipartisan rebuke of the FCC is a wake-up call for us
to serve the public rather than the media giants we oversee. Chairman
Inouye, Senator Dorgan, Vice Chairman Stevens, Senator Snowe and the
many other Senate leaders and public interest organizations who pushed
this forward deserve our congratulations and the thanks of the American
people."

I have a feeling that any attempt to increase the national cap would
suffer the same fate. Unless the populist rhetoric can be directed
toward what it takes to save FOTA TV, in the face of competition from
"powerful media" that are allowed to follow a different set of rules,
rules which are far more appealing to the advertizers. Presentation is
everything. It would take a concerted lobbying effort.