[opendtv] Re: News: YouTube's 2 billion daily viewership beats primetime audience of top US TV networks

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 08:19:40 -0400

At 7:01 PM -0400 5/20/10, Albert Manfredi wrote:
The first part I can agree with. It only matters how much time they spend on the content.

Does this mean you disagree with the second part?

Knowing who is watching, and perhaps even more important, what they may be interested in, is the Holy Grail for advertisers. We have already seen how important this is in the Internet search market, where Google has grown into the 800 pound gorilla in just a few years.

Now add Google TV to this picture, and I think you will see the direction things are moving. The anonymous "shot gun" approach to Broadcast TV advertising is going to be replaced with targeted ads to pay for content; the consumer is driving this, willingly sharing some information in exchange for a far better TV experience.

I have been predicting this for quite some time now; it looks like it's finally starting to gain some traction. The future of TV broadcasting is seriously in doubt - note I am not talking about the high value network content that has allowed broadcasters to thrive for more than a half century. If the market for shotgun advertising dries up, and there are many signs this is already happening, then TV broadcasting goes away.

Retrans consent fees will not be sufficient to keep broadcasters alive. And to date, broadcasters have made no effort to develop a new business model that allows them to have a direct relationship with viewers that they can use to stay competitive in a world where advertisers are looking for accountability for their ad dollars. Even the cable industry may become a victim, as the ability to access all kinds of content via the Internet allows consumers to escape from paying for costly packages of content they do not watch.

The You Tube phenomenon is primarily of interest because it changes the way we consume content, AND it allows anyone to become a content producer if they have something compelling to offer to highly targeted audience.

The whole point of posting the original thread was to illustrate how consumers are changing their viewing habits ...

And where they spend their time with content.

I recently did some on-line research for some house stuff, and easily watched half a dozen YouTube clips during this research. To watch that many prime time shows would have taken me the better part of a week. The YouTube clips took very little time to digest, in one easy sitting.

Are you suggesting that the two numbers are comparable?

Comparable, NO.

Significant, YES.

Watching long form entertainment is not going to go away. The way this content is paid for is going to change, and the ability to search for and watch this content on demand is going to largely replace appointment TV except for coverage of live events.

From the story I just posted about Google TV:

"The video-on-demand experience has always been antiquated at best," said Richard Greenfield, a media analyst at BTIG, a financial services firm. Google TV and similar efforts "put pressure squarely on cable operators and anyone in the business of distributing video content to improve their user experience."

Consider the You Tube video that was embedded in the Sony Google TV announcement that Kon posted yesterday. It is now possible for anyone to use video to tell their story, and for anyone, anywhere to see that story, just as you described above.

This ability may not be comparable to watching high value network entertainment content from a broadcaster, but it IS causing many people to spend more time on the Internet and less time in front of the TV. As the two converge the usage models will favor the search driven model over the broadcast model.

And too, just because YouTube exists and does well does not mean that TV dramas, sports, even reality shows, will disappear. They are not in competition with each other. They can and do coexist perfectly well.

Correct.

It is the way the content is paid for that changes.