[opendtv] Re: News: YouTube's 2 billion daily viewership beats primetime audience of top US TV networks

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 19:01:29 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The only things that matter are how much time
> they spend with your content, and if you know who
> they are (or what they want)...

The first part I can agree with. It only matters how much time they spend on
the content.

The article makes no claims in that regard. Only that YouTube got 2B daily
viewership. Read it again, Craig:

"According to a Sunday announcement by Google, the viewership of its May
2005-launched video sharing site YouTube currently exceeds more than two
billion viewers daily, which is apparently two times more than the combined
prime-time audience of all three leading US television networks - ABC, CBS and
NBC."

I recently did some on-line research for some house stuff, and easily watched
half a dozen YouTube clips during this research. To watch that many prime time
shows would have taken me the better part of a week. The YouTube clips took
very little time to digest, in one easy sitting.

Are you suggesting that the two numbers are comparable?

Then there is this erroneous quote as well:

"What is even more noteworthy about YouTube viewership is that the site boasts
viewers from all round the world, while the viewership of the television
networks is restricted to the US alone."

That's pure nonsense. Prime time shows from the major US TV networks are, in
fact, viewed all over the world. NBC/ABC/CBS/Fox prime time shows are the
staple diet for a whole lot of TV networks in a whole lot of countries. And
have been so for decades, certainly as long as I've been alive.

And too, just because YouTube exists and does well does not mean that TV
dramas, sports, even reality shows, will disappear. They are not in competition
with each other. They can and do coexist perfectly well.