[opendtv] Re: News: WGA STRIKE UPDATE: Worldwide Pants to Meet with Guild Friday

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:57:45 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> The Writer's Guild is shooting themselves in the foot.
>
> Sure, the main beef the Guild has is in getting a slice of
> the post-broadcast DVD market, and sure there isn't much of
> that revenue in the late night talk shows.
>
> However, the late night talk shows are a revenue stream for
> the very networks that the Guild is trying to negotiate with
> over the DVD royalties for their other programs. Turning on
> the money spigots for the late night shows only eases the
> pain for the networks.

Seems to me that the wrong people here often get a disproportionally
high share of the rewards. Namely, actors and certain athletes. (Not
saying these are the only two groups, by any means.)

Hard to argue about athletes. If people didn't pay for tickets to watch
the games, or didn't tune to the games on TV, they wouldn't be obscenely
rich. So if we don't like it, it's up to you and me to change that.

Easier to argue about actors vs the real brains, the writers. Writers
should at very least be compensated using the same formula as actors.
And it shouldn't take any union to make that point, either.

I thought it would be good to have the late night shows unscripted. It
might have sent a message that the Writers' Guild should want to get
out.