[opendtv] Re: News: Ultrawideband heralds zippier wireless connections

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:03:06 -0400

Uh, no. UWB is considered a personal area network (PAN),
considerably shorter range than Wi-Fi, and I very much
doubt it can make it throughout a house. Perhaps
throughout a living room, depending which variant
you're talking about, and depending what sort of
interference problems crop up and how they're solved.

Last I heard, the MBOA approach was capable of 10
meters, but created a potential interference problem
due to the peak to average ratio issue with OFDM.
And the CDMA variant was capable of 4 meters. But
these distances are for unobstructed transmissions.

Problem is, the ultrawide band means that the upper
frequencies of a signal stream will become attenuated
first as range goes up. Which will require a reduction
in bit rate or in range, to compensate for the loss.

Another way to say it is that as range and
obstructions go up, the "ultrawide" aspect goes down.

Bert

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/data/2004-10-06-ultrawideband-previ=
ew_x.htm

Ultrawideband heralds zippier wireless connections

By Duncan Martell, Reuters

SAN FRANCISCO - Think of it as Wi-Fi on steroids.

[ ... ]

Aesthetically conscious consumers would appreciate the
high-speed wireless streaming of HDTV signals through
the home - ...