[opendtv] Re: News: Ultrawideband heralds zippier wireless connections

  • From: Henry Baker <hbaker1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 07:56:55 -0700

Bert is right about the limited range of the current
crop of UWB devices.  Their primary goals are wireless
versions of USB and Firewire/iLink.  The idea is to bring
your laptop or camera to within a few feet of another
device and communicate at USB/Firewire type speeds without
requiring a cable.

While "ultrawideband" is generically suitable for longer
range tasks, including passing information around the
house, I think some regulatory changes and/or technical
improvements will be required in order to get sufficient
range.