[opendtv] Re: News: Tuning In Mobile TV--Chinese Style

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:36:57 -0800

And my point was that saying that China has more x than country z isn't very
helpful, since its population is at least four times that of the U.S.

It's tv penetration rate is less than that of the U.S., if only by a
smidgeon.  Of course, CCTV, etc is one of those "manufacturing assent" type
of organizations, to borrow from Noam Chomsky.

And, there are relative differences between countries and economies.  I can
go to the McDonald's in San Ysidro and buy a double cheeseburger for $1.08
with tax, and I have done this hundreds of times over the last decade.
Then, I can cross the border, and stop at the McDonald's at the Viva Tijuana
shopping center, where the double cheeseburger costs more than $2.00 in U.S.
dollars.  I have done this dozens of times over the last ten years.

McDonalds has effectively the same products with the same ingredients in
both markets, but they serve different economies and different market
segments in both countries.

Here's another example of market differences.  When it gets cold hereabouts,
I see all sorts of Mexicans jumping on the San Diego Trolley, going
Southbound, carrying clear plastic bags that contain fluffy blankets that
cost about $10.  When I get off the trolley at the southern terminus, I can
watch Americans who -- presumably for the same purpose -- are carrying
Mexican horse blankets (much smaller, rougher, and much less warm) that they
buy for $10.  These Americans actually travel past where the Mexicans buy
their blankets, and get lower-quality product. (I guess it's possible that
some of the horse blankets are actually used for horses, but I don't think
that's much of a market hereabouts.)

I suspect that the Americans think that they are getting a good deal.
Mexicans know better.

I might have overstated the taco-eating penetration in China.  Three decades
ago, my cousin in Illinois had to travel 40 miles to get taco fixin's.  Now,
he can get them at his local Taco Bell (after a fashion) or at any
supermarket.

John Willkie, who really needs to get back to finishing his "beta site
agreement"

From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> China also probably has more taco-eaters than the U.S. population.  But,
> the
> U.S. cellphone penetration is now 80%.  Remember Dermot's prediction that
> it
> won't get that high?  I don't think that China has 80% cellphone
> penetration, even with Chinese-sourced cellphones.

John, say I have some money in my left pocket, and some money in my right
pocket.  Do you want 80% of my left pocket, or 35% of my right pocket?  You
need to know how much is in each pocket before you can make the choice that
nets you more money.

According to the CIA World Factbook, China has 461.1 million cell phones (in

2006), out of a population of 1.3 billion, or a penetration rate of just
under 35%.

The US total population, again according to the CIA World Factbook, is
estimated to be 301 million as of July 2007,  and has 233 million cell
phones (in 2006.) That is a penetration rate of 77%.

If I were selling cell phones, or tacos, to both countries, I wouldn't care
that the US has a higher penetration rate than China.  I'd only care that I
sold 461 million vs. 233 million.

John