[opendtv] Re: News: Time Warner Offers $3 Billion to End AOL Hangover

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 10:19:20 -0700

ya mean they wrote down the value of the purchase of Time-Warner by AOL
because T-W was overvalued?

That's really funny, Craig, since if you look at the Time-Warner filings,
they say the EXACT opposite; that the write downs were because the value of
AOL plummeted.  I also note that the AOL was dropped from "AOL Time Warner"
for similar reasons: it lost it's cachet.  Very funny that the value of AOL
dropped to less than zero -- there are still dangling shareholder issues,
but you concentrate on Time-Warner being overvalued.

Steve Case said that he would do things that were impossible to do, at least
for anybody who knew the culture of Time-Warner and it's fiefdoms.  Yet, he
did the merger.  Now, you blame the seller?  Seems to me that if there was a
problem that was identified in advance, that the responsibility falls with
the buyer.