[opendtv] Re: News: The Skinny On Flat-Panel TVs

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 09:02:09 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>"No one would
> argue that CRTs are still the benchmark for image quality," says
> DisplaySearch analyst Chris Connery.

Well, some still do. I think he meant tp say something else,
however. I read that to mean what it says, which is that no
one thinks that CTRs are the best picture quality. I think he
emant to say that he thinks that everyone believes that
CRTs are indeed the best picture quality.

However, where it counts, which is AVDForum, there is
indeed a pitched argument. And CTRs are not winning. Sure,
there are those who sill believe in CRTs, even
as real projectors. But even they have to admit that RP-CRT
can only produce a "cinema like" experience ... which means
a dim picture in a dark room. They can't compete on
any other ground, and in a not-dark room they are hopeless.
Direct CRT of course is just too small for a denizen
of AVSForum.

The argument over there is DLP vs the world, with plasma
and LCOS being worried about. But it is clear to
everybody that CRT is dead. Nobody ... nobody ... would
doubt that a three-chip DLP with no temporal dithering
would win in the projection sweepstakes. In true flat panel,
it's still a horce race.

The CRT people are simply spinning their loss. They latch onto
the tiny regions where CRTs are still OK and attack the "values"
of those who think that the absolute requirement that alone
determines quality is black level!

Doug McDonald