[opendtv] News: McCain Slams Broadcasters

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:28:20 -0400

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA608450.html?display=Breaking+News&referral=SUPP

McCain Slams Broadcasters

By Bill McConnell -- Broadcasting & Cable, 6/14/2005 2:58:00 PM

Sen. John McCain launched a public relations campaign against
broadcasters Tuesday, warning that TV stations could be blamed in
part for future terrorist casualties if they to not relinquish their
old analog channels, portions of which are slated to be turned over
to fire, police and other emergency departments.

McCain and the mothers of two 9/11 victims said New York City rescue
workers' communications problems played a role in the deaths of
hundreds killed in the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

At a press conference in the Russell Senate Office Building  McCain
unveiled legislation he is sponsoring that would force broadcasters
to return their old analog channels to the government on Jan. 1,
2009, years sooner than current law requires.

A chunk of that spectrum will be used to alleviate emergency workers'
communications woes, which include a shortage of frequencies and lack
of interoperability between various departments. The shortcomings of
emergencies communications was detailed in the 9/11 Commission's
report.

McCain's bill also calls for the federal government to provide a $468
million subsidy for converters required to keep old analog sets
working in the all-digital world.

The subsidy would pay for one converter for each of the 9.3 million
households with incomes at or below 200% of the poverty line. His
bill also contains a measure, opposed by the cable industry, which
essentially would leave cable operators no choice but to carry both a
digital and an analog version of TV stations signals until 2011.

Mary Fetchet, president of Voices of September 11, said her son Brad
might have survived the collapse of the second World Trade Center
tower had communications snafus not prevented him from learning there
was an open stairwell after the plane hit the second tower. "I
believe his death could have been prevented," she said.

Better communications also could have prevented firemen from dying
needlessly in the World Trade Center disaster, she said. "It's hard
to believe four years have passed and our first responders are no
safer than they were on 9/11."

"Congress hasn't acted mainly because want to to keep duplicative
channels," Fetchet said. "We can't allow lobbyists to prevent these
common sense reforms from going forward."

McCain said broadcasters reneged on promises made during the early
part of the debate over creating DTV to quickly return their old
analog spectrum, perhaps as early as 2001. Instead, they were able to
win a last-minute clause in the 1997 DTV bill allowing them to hold
on to their analog channels until 85% of their markets are equipped
for digital. "That's an impossible goal to meet," McCain said.
"They've got the best of all worlds."

Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Ted Stevens plans to introduce his
own version of DTV legislation within the next few weeks and McCain
said he "wants to work with him and has every expectation of doing
so."

So why introduce his own bill?

"I have to act. I was chairman of the Commerce Committee when this
issue came up I've been involved since the 9/11 Commission
recommendations came out. I'm not abandoning this issue just because
I'm not the chairman of the Commerce Committee anymore."

McCain has long been at odds with broadcasters and their main
lobbying group, the National Association of Broadcasters. McCain
opposed giving TV stations the right to operate two signals, even
temporarily, without paying the government anything in return. He
also has fought broadcasters over campaign finance reform,
particularly his wish to make stations offer free airtime to
candidates during election campaigns.

"I've never beaten them. They have perfect record," he said.

Time may be changing, however, because of the need for more public
safety spectrum and the desire of Stevens, House Commerce committee
Joe Barton and other lawmakers to complete reclaim the old spectrum
and finishing the digital transitions

"I think finally we are going to see this become reality," he said.
"I hope this year."

McCain's bill was praised by the National League of Cities, which
represents municipal governments; the Consumer
Electronics Association, whose members want broadcasters to drive set
demand with digital programming; and the High Tech DTV Coalition,
whose Silicon Valley members would like to market new wireless
consumers services on the portion of reclaimed analog channels not
turned over to public safety departments.

NAB President Edward O. Fritts, who only Tuesday night was
celebrating the public service efforts of broadcasters, including in
times of emergency, responded to McCain's broadside:

"As former Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge has noted, local
television stations provide a lifeline service during terrorist
attacks, hurricanes, tornadoes and other natural disasters.

"We are committed to completing the digital transition in a timely
fashion, including return of analog spectrum, and will work with
Congress to ensure that millions of consumers are not left stranded
by a premature end to analog broadcasting."