[opendtv] Re: News: Fox News Wants To Double License Fees

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 19:10:33 -0400

I tried responding on this issue last week while traveling but
freelists won't accept my web mail for some reason.

I think I pay about $3 more per month to get ESPN which I never
watch since I'm not a sports fan.  And that is a higher percentage
of my cable TV than many since I otherwise subscribe to fewer
options.  I'd like to not pay this.

I really do not believe a la carte pricing would significantly
increase the cost of cable for most people.  Some marginal
channels would go away and some others would certainly not be
subscribed to by many.  Some channels would become individually
more expensive and some would become free.  But the competitive
advantage of the cable companies is not really in a la carte
anyway but in 2 way local big pipes.  That won't change.

There should be some compromise closer to a la carte pricing that
people can agree on.  But I'm home sick today and my head is
fogged so I can't seem to come up with one right now.

- Tom