[opendtv] Re: News: Fox News Wants To Double License Fees

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 08:39:01 -0400

At 8:18 AM -0500 5/6/05, John McClenny wrote:
>On 5/6/05, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>  An indication of things to come?
>>
>>  Would I pay $.50/month to view FNC if it were offered ala carte?
>>  Perhaps, but if I did, I would not pay for the other news channels,
>>  so the net to the cable/DBS operator would be less. The dirty little
>>  secret of multi-channel TV is that they are collecting huge sums of
>>  money for the content moguls, and with the current tier system we are
>>  forced to pay for all the stuff we don't watch.
>  The flip side of this is that we would pay more for the content we do watch
>if that cost is spread over fewer subscribers.

I doubt that this would be true.

Many networks would eliminate subscribe fees altogether if faced with
the possibility that a significant number of homes would choose not
to view their ads.

There is no legitimate basis for charging subscriber fees for
advertiser supported programming. It is the byproduct of a screwed up
system where government regulation has allowed so called competitors
to push up rates by blaming each other and screwing us.

On the other hand, people might be willing to pay for the networks
they want if the programming did not include ads...

>  I like ala carte as it would put some pressure on content pricing by
>providing more transparency to pricing for the consumer. The true cost of
>ESPN may not be worth it to some subs.

Yup. But ESPN can get away with it because the subs who do want it
are willing to pay for their sports fix. The end game for sports is
PPV.