[opendtv] Re: News: FCC Takes Flak Over Flag

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 17:27:19 -0700

You are wrong, but only to a point.  The FCC has the authority to say what
kind of receiver you can or cannot build.  Period.

However, they've never used it, and are unlikely to, since it will deter
innovation.

On the flag, I believe you to be wrong: the FCC CLEARLY has the authority to
regulate what broadcasters transmit, and how receivers/tuners, etc have in
them.  They only use this authority sparingly.  The CEA learned this --
finally -- in the appeals court order that ridiculed their appeal, which
sounds much like your beliefs.

It's not just the equipment that they have exclusive authority over, it's
also the system of broadcasting.  In many decades of following them, the
ONLY time I can recall them losing some of their claimed authority in this
zone was in 1989, when cable must-carry (which had previously been approved
by the Supremes) lost at the Supreme Court.