[opendtv] Re: Netflix U.S. Streaming Subs Hit 33.4 Million

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 02:41:41 +0000

Kent Borg wrote:

> So far.  In the US.
>
> But they do offer standalone streaming in Scandinavia.
>
> If Netflix's US market share keeps growing HBO's calculation for what makes
> sense in the US market could change.

I agree completely. Craig consistently resists accepting the fact that
consumers ultimately decide. Not only has the Netflix share been growing, but
HBO has simultaneously seen a decline in subscriptions. So unless they have a
death wish, they will certainly be taking some measures. The only thing you
need is for a large enough fraction of TV consumers to show some amount of
backbone.

The biggest problem with Internet TV, from my perspective, is that it is still
being treated like an amateurish hobby. The players are not robust enough. For
instance, CBS has started streaming with those thumbnails that Kon was talking
about, showing up on the time bar thingy on the bottom of the screen (using
Flash Player, at any rate). And now the blasted stream keeps getting stuck.

This sort of thing happens a lot, when the upgrades to IE or other components
occur. They forgot about discipline. You rarely see this sort of slap-happy
operation on OTA channels.