[opendtv] Re: Netflix U.S. Streaming Subs Hit 33.4 Million

  • From: Kent Borg <kentborg@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 14:21:03 -0500

On 01/27/2014 01:59 PM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
I can't answer for what is in the contracts, but the HBO GO app requires that
the user pay an MVPD for the HBO service. So it works just like the other
streaming apps for MVPD channels - i.e. you need to enter a username and
password, AND also pay for the HBO premium service.

Yes, of course, and Comcast, et al, still get their cut and keep their bundled customers.

At some point--assuming the bandwidth remains available for a good price--cord-cutters and the never-corded will grow enough that HBO will want to try to reach that market.

I wonder whether they will be contractually capable of reaching that market a la carte.

-kb