[opendtv] Re: Native interlaced on progressive displays

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 11:20:08 -0400

Olivier,

Instead of inserting black, why didn't you simply hold the odd and even lines for 1/30th of a second, alternately refreshing each set of lines every 1/60th of a second? In essence, with phosphor persistence that's what a CRT does, and it would solve your brightness problem. If you wanted to get picky, you could display the line at full brightness for the first 1/60th of a second, then reduced it's brightness for the second 1/60th, (or 1/50th as the case may be,) further emulating CRT phosphor brightness decay.

However, the majority of your display issues arise from trying to encode an interlaced source with a frame based compression scheme. That leads to temporal errors in the frame from the even and odd fields, and results in more bit stress on the encoder.

Best to kill the interlace before it hits the first lossy encoder, I think. At least from our experimentation on-air, we find that 1080i cross converted to 720p then MPEG-2 compressing at 12 Mbps (average, stat muxed) looks better in the home than the same bitrate allocated to 1080i. Then your display has to rescale 720p to 1080p by multiplying the horizontal and vertical by 1.5.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Olivier Houot" <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxxxx>