[opendtv] Re: Native interlaced on progressive displays

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:40:20 +0200

Tom wrote:
Or for that matter, how would it look if you used neutral grey lines instead of black ones?
The idea seems worth a try. Since it is such a simple modification, i will certainly have a go at it next time i hook the PC to the projector.

If you are playing with AVS scripts, does it give better results than deinterlacing with my TomsMoComp60_Top.avs script.
I routinely used TomsMoComp for my encodings of standard definition videos (mainly for PDA viewing) in the past and was satisfied with the results.

However, i doubt it will be able to operate in realtime on 1080i material. Therefore i will have to store the result of the script and play it afterwards.

In order to get a reasonably sized file, i will have to compress it. Now, i am not convinced my Mpeg2 encoder handles 1080p. I know my h.264 tools do, but then i may have problems with realtime playback. I am not sure the PC will handle it in software.

I tried once 1080@60p in h.264 with hardware decoding in the graphic card and obtained a slow-motion video (about 75 % of realtime). I don't know if it is because i've reached the limits of the card, or because of a bug somewhere (bad encoding profile/level...). Perhaps a test at 50p would be useful, here.

So i may try TomsMoComp, but not immediately. I only compared with the output of the internal deinterlacer in MPC-HC (or possibly ffdshow), and i don't know which one is used (perhaps yadif).

More testing to do...