[opendtv] Re: NTSC B&W to NTSC Color

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 22:42:51 -0500

Very likely, before the FCC telegrams arrived that day at NBC and CBS,
the engineering staff readied the equipment in the color studio to
go on the air at NBC the second it was received.

At 5:31PM EST, they broke into normal NBC B&W programming with the NBC
'Chimes" slide in full color, for a few seconds, so they and Sarnoff could
later claim that NBC was the first on the air with full NTSC Color.

Meanwhile at CBS, using the Chromacoder camera system, they went on the air
with a live program from a color studio at 6:15 EST in full NTSC color.

I imagine, given the state of the art, that these events were last minute,
by the skin of their teeth operations with everyone holding their collective breath, and were 'patched' on the air, then back off to regular B&W at the end of the events.

This information which I have paraphrased is from "The History of Color Television"
website authored by Ed Reitan. http://www.colortelevision.info/

For the accounts of CBS and NBC's 'first color signal broadcasts', scroll down to Dec,17,1953 here:
http://www.colortelevision.info/rca-nbc_firsts.html

Cliff Benham

On 1953-12-17, did all the USA Broadcasters change from
30.00fps to 29.97fps for all broadcasts, or did they continue
to use 30.00fps for B&W broadcasts?

Kirk Bayne
avdtv.tripod.com/avdtv.htm